Reno’s largest homeless encampment was bulldozed today after weeks of city officials saying they would begin clearing the area near the Wells Avenue overpass. They made good on their word, but not without generating confusion.
The area has been home to as many as 300 people in recent years. City officials have been giving those experiencing homelessness notice about the need to move when the Nevada Cares Campus opens. But the exact date and time was murky.
The notices being handed out didn’t jibe with what city officials said earlier this week.
A copy shown to This Is Reno had the cleanup date as Monday, and multiple people were told the cleanup operation was to occur Wednesday. That too didn’t happen — instead, city spokesperson Jon Humbert said the date was not determined until Tuesday.
Legal observers with the Nevada ACLU, in addition to homeless advocates, also said the different dates caused confusion.